Saturday 29 April 2023

Super start to 2023 Sporadic-E season

The 2023 Sporadic-E season started for me on Monday 24th April 2023 on 50 MHz with a good opening to Europe.

What I didn’t expect though was that only two days later on Wednesday 26th April 2023 between 1244-1249 UTC I would work on 50 MHz ZS6WN in KG46SC square, South Africa, for a new personal best distance record of 9238 km.

The propagation mode appeared to be via Sporadic-E, however this would mean at least a quadruple hop (4x2350km) for that distance, which if that was the case would be most unusual for me with triple hop being the best I had seen before. More likely it was a mixture of Sporadic-E and TEP

My 50 MHz station at present comprises of an Icom-7300 running 50 W into a quad band vertical mounted at ground level and hidden in a garden bush due to being in a Conservation area and not being allowed visible external aerials



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

2024 Sporadic-E poor but one highlight ZD7BG

The 2024 Sporadic-E season has not been good for me this year, a few openings as high as 70 MHz , but no Band II FMDX except for one day wh...